Tuesday, June 8, 2021

talking to children about illusions at the Hearst Center

I had a great time this morning at the Hearst Center for the Arts, in Cedar Falls, Iowa, where I talked to a group of about 15 children about "illusions." I'm the big kid on the left, properly masked. I shared two of the Ames Demonstrations (that's a Rotating Trapezoid Window on a table in the front), red/green 3-D stereograms (which they loved), and ended by showing examples of World War I dazzle ship camouflage

The children asked some excellent questions, and the adult staff at the center were on their best behavior. I had a blast, and I think the young ones liked it too. It was not unlike a flashback, since more than 50 years ago, I began my career in the classroom as a teacher of 7th graders.

There are more posted photographs and a video clip on the Hearst Center's Instagram page.